- 2 cups grated peeled russet potatoes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cooking oil, or more
- Wring grated potatoes in a muslin cloth or cheesecloth to expel as much water as possible. Beat eggs well, then beat in flour and spices. Add the onion and mix all with the potato.
Heat oil (enough to fill skillet bottom by 1/2") until hot (375°). Pan fry the cakes by dropping a small amount of batter and spreading it outward with a wooden spoon or spatula. After a few moments, loosen the bottom of the cake from the pan. Cook until golden brown; turn and fry until the other side is golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in 200° oven on a rack over a baking sheet until ready to serve.
The Joy of Cooking