Say Aloha! to this Gray family favorite from the seventies. It still holds up pretty well.
- 2 frying chickens, parted out
- 1/2 cup Seasoned flour
- 1/3 cup Salad oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple slices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide chicken legs into thigh and drumstick, and halve chicken breasts. Dredge them in seasoned flour and brown in hot oil. Put into roasting pan, skin side up.
- While chicken is browning, make sauce. Drain pineapple juice into a 2-cup measure; add enough chicken broth to make 1-1/4 cups. Boil this with the sugar, vinegar, ginger, cornstarch and soy sauce for two minutes. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes; arrange pineapple slices over chicken, as well as rings from a sliced green bell pepper. Bake an additional 30 minutes; serve with white rice.