- 1 chicken, cut into 8 parts
- 1 cup oil for frying
- 2 cup flour, seasoned for dredging
- 1 quart chicken stock, boiling
- 1 large carrot, pared and cut up
- 2 celery ribs with leaves
- 1 onion, yellow, large
- 2 teaspoon salt (Omit if using salted stock)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Thyme sprig
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and brown in hot oil as for fried chicken. Do not cook through, but only cook to a light golden brown on each side. Remove chicken to a large pot.
- While cooking chicken, bring stock to boil. When all the chicken is browned and in the pot, pour boiling stock over all. Add salt, pepper, carrot, celery, onion and thyme. Taste and make broth is well seasoned. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, on low heat one hour.
- In a small saucepot melt butter over medium heat into bubbling. Stir in flour and cook for a minute, stirring constantly, to make a roux. Remove chicken to a heated platter and strain sauce into small saucepot.
- Add the roux and bring to a simmer; whisk until smooth and thick. Return chicken to pot and add sauce. Let set for a few minutes off the heat. Serve with boiled rice and vegetable.
The Fanny Farmer Cookbook/ARG