Chicken Roasted with Rosemary, Garlic & Lemon
Note. This recipe originally called for terra cotta cooking pot. You may substitute any heavy lidded pot, such as a pot-roasting dish, if necessary.
- 1 roasting chicken
- 1 large Lemon (or 3 cocktail lemons)
- 8 cloves garlic
- Several stalks fresh rosemary, fresh
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Wash chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Juice lemon, reserving the skin and pulp. Rub inside and out of chicken with the lemon juice; sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper. Place several sprigs of rosemary inside the cavity, along with the juiced lemon halves and 4 crushed cloves of garlic. Truss chicken securely with string.
- Place chicken in the bottom of a casserole with lid, or a terra cotta cooking vessel soaked in cold water. Put remaining garlic cloves on the bottom and sprinkle all with remaining rosemary and lemon juice, if any.
- Cover and put in a medium oven (350°) for about one hour (longer if using terra cotta). Remove cover and cook an additional half hour or until skin is crisped and golden and internal dark meat temperature is 160°.
- Remove from oven and cover loosely. Let chicken set up for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, remove pan juices and de-fat. Serve pan juices, along with the roasted garlic cloves, with the chicken.