Ground Beef and Kidney Beans
This "almost chili" was a regular and well-liked dish growing up in the Gray household. We called it Ground Beef and Kidney beans; Mom thought of it as Betty's beans, having gotten the recipe from her sister Betty. Our cousins - Betty's children - know this as "Mother's Beans." Cornbread really should be made to go with this.
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- 3 to 4 cans kidney beans w/liquid
- 2 bell peppers, cut in chunks
- 1 teaspoon. salt
- 1/2 teaspoons. paprika
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chile powder
- pinch each thyme, cumin & oregano
- Melt butter and saute the onion and mushrooms. Add the soup, beans and bell peppers. Season with salt, paprika, worcestershire sauce,chile powder and herbs. Simmer about a half an hour.
- Serve with cornbread.
Betty Mitchell, via Mary Gray