Braised Chicken with Onion & Sour Cream Sauce
- 4 chicken legs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or olive oil
- 1 large onion, yellow, thinly sliced
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Paprika
- 1/4 cup wine, white
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 300°
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat drippings or oil. Brown the chicken on both sides and place in a large casserole.
- To the hot oil, add the onion. Stir and cook until onion is deeply browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and paprika. Stir and cook until garlic is softened but not brown.
- Add the wine and stir and cook until reduced au sec. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil; pour over the chicken. Cover casserole and cook for 2 hours, or until chicken is cooked all the way through and tender to the bone. Turn chicken pieces halfway through cooking.
- Remove chicken to a hot serving platter. Add sour cream to sauce and stir until blended (do not boil on stove). Pour some over chicken, and serve the rest in a gravy boat.