- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 16-ounce cans sour cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- Pastry for a double crust pie.
Very good just slightly warm with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream.
- Drain cherries, reserving cherries and juice separately. Mix the juice and the sugar in a pot and bring to a boil. Blend the corn starch and cold water; whisk into boiling juice and sugar, and remove from heat. Let cool a few minutes.
- Stir in the cherries, lemon juice, almond extract and salt. Pour filling into a 9" pan lined with unbaked pastry. Top with a lattice crust and brush with eggwash.
- Cover upper, outer rim with a foil ring and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove ring and bake for another 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely before cutting.
Professional Cooking, by Wayne Gisslen