Biscuits (Or Dumplings)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 TBSP baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
FOR BISCUITS - Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Biscuits should go into a very hot oven; open door, slide in pan, and close door immediately.
- Measure flour into mixing bowl. Add salt and baking powder. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat the egg thoroughly and mix with the milk. Add liquid all at once. Dough will be moist and sticky.
- Knead 20 times, adding a little flour as needed. Roll 3/4" thick. Cut with biscuit cutter. Place onto lightly greased cookie sheet and brush tops with melted butter. Bake 15 to 18 minutes in middle of hot oven, until lightly brown.
- Bring liquid to simmer. With two spoons, take up scoops of dough about the size of a small egg and drop into gently simmering liquid.
- Cover pot tightly and cook another 20-30 minutes, or until dumplings are fully cooked in center.
Notes: For cutting fat into flour, a special tool called a pastry cutter is useful. However, two knives can do the job, or even fingertips can be used in a pinch.