Preheat oven to 350°
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or other shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed, very ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Sift the flour with the soda and salt.
- Cream the butter and gradually add the sugar. Mix well. Add the eggs and bananas and blend thoroughly.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice, which will curdle a bit. Slowly and alternately fold in the flour mixture and milk mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Blend well after each addition.
- Stir in the nuts, then pour the batter into a lavishly buttered 9 x 5 x 3-inch pan and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 1 hour, or until the bread springs back when lightly touched in the center.
Beard on Bread by James Beard