- 1-1/2 cup water, warm
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast, scant
- 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, mix water with first sugar and first salt. Add yeast. Stir to completely dissolve. Add the flour one cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Knead for five minutes or until smooth and elastic, but a slightly sticky. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Using your sharpest knife, divide dought in half. Halve each half, and cut each resulting piece in half. You should now have 8 even pieces of dough.
- With an oiled finger, poke a hole in the center of each ball of dough and work into a right with a hole 2" across. Set on a greased baking sheet. Starting the time from when the first bagel is shaped, let bagels sit, covered, 20 minutes.
- Place bagels until a hot broiler 5 inches from heat for 60 - 90 seconds each side. DO NOT ALLOW BAGELS TO BROWN EVEN SLIGHTLY. Brown spots will end up pasty colored, tough and wrinkly in finished bagel. You only want to dry out the bagels.
- Drop each bagel into at least 4 inches of boiling water, in which you've put the second sugar and salt. Simmer for 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain bagels on paper towels. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in a 350° oven for 35 minutes, or until done. Finish for five minutes directly on oven rack. Let cool on racks, and store in an air tight container.