Asian Style Rice
Rice, Asian style
Use a pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Rinse long grain white rice in several changes of cold water until water drains clear.
- Add cold water to cover rice. Test depth by making sure water covers rice up to first finger joint, about ¾".
- Bring water and rice to boil on high heat, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Let boil uncovered, stirring to prevent sticking, for one minute.
- Reduce heat to lowest possible setting. Cover tightly and cook without removing lid for 20 minutes.
- Without removing lid, remove completely from heat and let sit at least five minutes.
- Thoroughly fluff rice with fork and serve.
This makes a light, tacky rice similar to the steamed rice from asian restaurants. The omission of salt from the recipe is intentional. I never measure rice I cook this way; I just pour out as much as I want to cook, rinse, and cover to depth of a finger joint.